Hot Water too Hot with Vaillant Ecotec Boiler and Vented System

Postby jhc62 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:35 pm

I have a Vaillant ecotec boiler with a hot water tank and vented central heating system with a Y 3 port honeywell motorised valve
I have a Salamander pump driving a disabled shower enclosure.
If I set the tank thermostat to 60'C and the hot water setting on the Vaillant to 60 and the radiator setting on the Vaillant to 60 the shower works fine.
The salamander cuts out if the hot water > 60'C

If I set the Vaillant radiator temperature to 65-70 on a cold day, the radiators are warmer but the hot water also gets too hot and the salamander shower pump pulses and you are advised to switch off or you'll damage it.
My question is why does the radiator setting heat up the hot water as well ?
I've checked the tank thermostat so is it a 3 port valve fault or a wiring fault ?
jhc62
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby jhc62 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:15 pm

Replacing the hot water tank thermostat seems to have fixed the problem. I had checked the thermostat with a multimeter on several occasions while it was running and gave the right result, obviously it was sticking intermittently and causing the hot water to overheat.
jhc62
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!