household lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lsummers
Labourer
Labourer

household lights

by lsummers » Sun May 06, 2007 6:58 pm

The lights upstairs in my house are not working. There is mains power and the trip switch has not tripped. I have changed the trip switch just in case but this has not changed anything. I am thinking that there is something stopping the flow of power to the upstairs lights but as the trip switch has not tripped what should I be looking for? Also, the light in the loft is also not working.

papadode
Labourer
Labourer

ceiling lights not working

by papadode » Sun May 06, 2007 9:10 pm

hi, i have a very similar prob. half the light in my semi is not working and neither is the attic ones. I have changed the bulbs and the fse wire from circuit board from the half that is working but still no luck. any basic ideas, please? :roll:

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon May 07, 2007 11:54 am

Hi folks!
B4 getting all leckie/teckie, think back to just b4 you noticed probs. what work, leckie or not you have done, ie nailed down loose board, hung shelf/picture, replaced first light on circuit & got loose wire?
Look at layout of house ie if you were running cables to lights which would be nearest light to consumer unit on failed circuit, how would you get cable to it? check for power at that light first, NOT with neon test screw driver, use 2 wire tester/meter as problem could be missing nuetral and neon will light but circuit won't work,
when all above checked repost results, regards SPARX
Do also see project on wiring lighting circuit to assist in understanding what cores do what in fittings.

papadode
Labourer
Labourer

by papadode » Thu May 10, 2007 10:44 am

:lol:
thanxs.
light switch had loose connection to the circuit - basically there were two wires which should have been connected together to allow the flow of electricity through to the next room and so on.
again thanks
papadode

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:31 pm