How about this way of installing a new bath and tiles?
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
keithwheatley
Labourer
Labourer

How about this way of installing a new bath and tiles?

by keithwheatley » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:02 pm

I have read the posts and the recommended method for tiling around a bath and realise that the tiles have to go over the bath to make a water tight seal. I presume that if you tile the wall and then butt the bath up to it, the water will make its way behind the bath via the grout even if you apply silicone sealant. The existing tiling over my bath has whole tiles along the top of the bath and it looks like the bath itself was used as the level surface. It appears that doing it this way isn't problematic if the walls are true. The bath touches the wall at one end and the tiling here is neat and square using whole tiles up the wall. The plasterboard here must be exactly vertical. The other end of the bath is a couple of inches from the other wall. If not using the bath as a level, I wondered whether it is possible to mark a line where the top of the bath will go, tile the wall using a batten fixed 3-4mm above this line, leaving a couple of tiles out for fixing the bath. (Would the tiles above these spaces will be held by the tile spacers?) When the batten is later removed the bath could be placed in position and then finely adjusted up to the required level with the screwed feet. Alternatively, use the batten exactly a tile height above the bath making sure that the levels are correct and just use whole tiles for the last row above the bath, again finely adjusting the bath with the feet. Are there any problems with this method?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:24 pm

See the projects section. Bathroom - Suite Installation. It describes how to tile a bath in and you have got it almost right.

keithwheatley
Labourer
Labourer

by keithwheatley » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will use whole tiles on the first level over the bath as the previous installer had done.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:42 am