How and whether to fit tails to bath
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GazK
Apprentice
Apprentice

How and whether to fit tails to bath

by GazK » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:13 pm

I have slowly been gaining in confidence at simple plumbing jobs and have reached level 2: able to fit a new tap (level one was waste traps!). I want to fit a new mixer tap to my bath. The current pipework runs all the way to the tap thread - see this photo:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/temp/PICT2870.JPG

So far, so boring. But I got caught out once before with this, and I'm keen not to repeat mistakes. The last time I was unable to get the pipework to mate with the new tap - it was too rigid. A very expensive callout was necessary to get tails fitted.

So this time I came prepared; I bought some tails and a good quality pipe cutter. But! when fitted the bottom of the tail (300mm) will coincide exactly with a soldered pipe joint - see:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/temp/PICT2871.JPG

I can go back to plan A - fit the new tap direct to the pipe, since this pipe will have much more movement in it due to the long run under the bath. But if plan A fails, what should I do? Cut above the joint, and have a tail which will be in compression for years to come? Fit the tail compression fitting onto the joint? I'm confident to cut and join using compression fittings, but soldering is beyond me.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:29 pm

I am guessing, but I would say there is a 80% chance the tap tails will line up exactly with your new taps so you won't need the flexible tails you have bought. If you have a low pressure system, there is a good chance they will reduce the flow in to the bath anyway.

If you do re-use the existing tap connectors, make sure you remove the old fibre washer an replace it. You can do this best through the hole in the bath once the tap is removed.

You can't bend the flexible pipes much, they will kink and stop the water. Cut the copper pipe above the compression first then if they are definitely too kinked when the new taps are in, nip out and buy a couple of 22mm compression couplings (or push fit would be easier) and using a piece of spare pipe you have cut off, make it so it fits.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:49 am