How can I strip wallpaper without loosening plaster?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jlc
Apprentice
Apprentice

How can I strip wallpaper without loosening plaster?

by jlc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:27 pm

Hi

I want to strip the wallpaper in our front bedroom. Only problem is that when I did the same thing in our back bedroom a while ago, so much of the plaster came off that we needed the whole room re-plastering. I can't afford to have the front bedroom re-plastered, so does anyone have any suggestions for a no-fail way to get the wallpaper off and leave the plaster intact???

Thanks
John

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:38 am

jlc,
A lot will depend on whether you have lime plastered walls - if yes you are unlikely to be successful. Otherwise you need to soak the existing paper, use a wallpaper piercer and thoroughly rough up the paper surface, repeatedly spray the wall with water probably over a period of 2-3 hours. This should loosen the adhesive enough for you to remove the paper.
end.

Did it myself
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Did it myself » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:09 am

I agree with Stoneyboy... if its lime plaster then you'll probably end up re-plastering as before.

I read something recently about adding washing up liquid to your water when soaking paper... anyone else used this method and was it any better?

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:02 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

rigga
Ganger
Ganger

by rigga » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:22 pm

jlc, hi read your post. Hot water and washing up liquid is the best option to strip paper of walls, however spraying as stoneyboy sugested , and i did it myself for 20 years is not a good idea not only because of the risk with elctrical switches and the like, but you are breathing in the mist of washing up liquid and water. Its better to use a brush and work from the bottom up, as wet paper absorbs the excess water better than dry paper and you won't get as much water on the carpet at the end. Leave the water to soak at least half an hour and do soak it at least twice. If it is a vinyl you can purchase a tool called a hedghog wich will pearce the surface and allow water to penetrate.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 pm