how do I adjust or raise patio doors
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Joshyboy
Labourer
Labourer

how do I adjust or raise patio doors

by Joshyboy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:09 pm

I have patio doors which are difficult to open because the catch at the top of the door that is usually closed catches the other door. There is three hinges either side and a cross screww to side of hinge, I've tried using a allan key at the bottom of each hinge to try and adjust to no avail, there must be a technique to this can you help

Cheers

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

patio door/french doors

by welsh brickie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:17 pm

the allen screws on each door only move the door a few millimetres.
when you close the doors together do they line up,
If they dont it means the frames dropped and they need re glazing
I suspect that is whats happened.

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

by allan the locksmith » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:47 am

The doors catching is a symptom of either the frame dropping or the door going out of square and requiring toe and heeling. The hinges will allow you to cure the symptom for a short while but not longterm as the problem will still exist.
Im assuming the doors have one piece glass as its a common problem on these types of doors as there is little support with just a frame.

If your hinges "wrap around" the door and are on the surface of the door as well you may be able to adjust it.Look at the side of the hinge that is flat on the surfacr of the door.You should see a hole or a plug covering it.You can insert an allen key here and adjust the door to 2pull it" back across away from the other door.
Be warned by doing this you may then find the lock is not operating as smoothly.Failure to address the locking problem will in time result inthe lock failing and leaving you with a hefty bill to open it and replace.

If you are not sure call an expert it may save you money in the long run. I know of locksmiths who don't like tackling these types of jobs, it takes a certain knack to get everything working ok.
to test if the lock is working as it should be try the lock with the door open first then try it with the door closed.If the resistance is a big difference when closed it may need more adjustment.

If the frame has dropped it may need extra fixings to secure it then readjust the door etc.
Im unable to link i think but i could direct you to a locksmith who could do this job depending on the mods.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:17 pm