How do I break into my basement soil pipe to install toilet
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mazman
Labourer
Labourer

How do I break into my basement soil pipe to install toilet

Post by mazman » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:02 am

How do I break into my basement soil pipe to install toilet. The current Victorian waste pipe is cast iron i think and looks solid. Can this be done as a DIY job?

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:44 pm

The only type of connector for plastic soil pipe and cast iron is a rubber adaptor. Go to our bathroom suite installation project and scroll to the tools section to see (and/or buy) one. The cast iron is not suitable for cutting into and fitting a new toilet and you will need to either replace this pipe in plastic ( follow this link for pipe http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=12530 ... 071&m=1228 ) which makes the job easy. If you can find a suitable place to cut through the cast iron pipe and connect the plastic pipe make sure you clamp each section, either side of the rubber connector, to the wall fully.

mazman
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mazman » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:26 pm

thanks for the link, could you please go into abit mopre detail.

From what you have said here is my understanding of the job:

[list]Cut a section of cast iron pipe out (what size of sectionwould you recommend?)[/list]

[list]Once the section is cut i attach the the new plastic pipe using rubber connectors at each end to lock onto the existing cast iron pipe[/list]

[list]Then i take it i need another part to attacvh the toilet wate to?[/list]

I have the theory, I guess I am looking the specific shopping list and a bit of guidance please. thanks for your time

mazman
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mazman » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:40 pm

hello,

thanks for the advice. Ok I have scanned the artical and that is fine. Here is my understanding of the job,

Cut a section of cast iron out so that we can replace with plastic.

Attach the plastic to the cast iron using rubber connectors

I take it I need to buy a part that allows the toilet to run into the new section of plastic pipe. Can to recommend this part?

Please advise if I am on the right lines?

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:00 pm

Hi. Yes you have the theory. The new plastic pipe, called a soil and vent pipe must now follow the exact route that the old cast pipe too, to the outside of the building and into the manhole where all the foul waste will go to a sewer. At the point you need the new toilet you will need to insert a T junction or a Y junction, whichever you can get to fit. The open branch of the junction then goes to the toilet via probably a bend and a pan connector. Links to all of these are below. The pan connector slots into the back of the WC.

T junction and access point

http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=11507 ... 071&m=1228

Bend

http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=87555 ... 071&m=1228

Pan connector

http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=33087 ... 071&m=1228

mazman
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mazman » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:14 pm

thanks for your help so far, one last question. The cast iron pipe in the section that runs down through the basemant looks like it has 2 straight joints in it. My intension is to cut between these 2.

What would be the best tool to use to cut trough the cast iron, hacksaw, angle grinder?

justin1970
Labourer
Labourer

Post by justin1970 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:20 am

Anyone ever tried this method?

My Mrs wanted the toilet turned through 90 deg, the angle is quite tight and at the moment I've got a nasty space consuming S shape on it at the moment as temp measure. Rather than take down the whole stack above (about 10 foot of cast iron 30/40 feet up) I'm hoping to go right angle from the back of the toilet into a new exit point, seal up the old one and use the multiboss to fit a new [plastic pipe into the old cast iron one. Yeah, it will look a bit nasty - but its at the back of the hosue where it can't be seen by anyone and because of some seriously tight access it's a lot easier than trying to bring down cast iron. (i've got just enough room to get a ladder up)

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:23 am