How do I judge the quality of a new towel radiator?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
donkey1
Labourer
Labourer

How do I judge the quality of a new towel radiator?

by donkey1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:17 am

Am looking to buy a new towel rad. Lots of suppliers and I dont know how to choose between them. I want one that will last a long time.

Question 1: Chrome plated or stainless steel? The latter is more expensive so I am guessing ought to be better quality. But both types are available with a 5 year guarantee. Is it worth it?

Question 2: Lots of cheap suppliers including the diy giants. Many with 5 year guarantees. How do I judge the manufacturing quality of a rad. Should I spend £150 or £350 when both have equal guarantees?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:13 pm

Now you ARE asking a difficult question!

Really, price is not everything. This can be reflected on where the product is bought from rather than the quality.

Yes stainless is better but can still fail if your heating system has a lot of oxygen in it or suffers from electrolysis.

Compare a good quality chrome rad against a poor one, and you can see a difference straight away. Where the money is spent is the thickness of the chrome plating.

The cheap rads may have a 5yr guarantee, but I have seen some that look awful from the start because the chrome is dull. The chrome peels as it is installed, and the whole thing rusts after as little one year!

Go and look at a cheap shed rad, then look at the £250 rad. You will see the difference.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1