How do I plastboard over (box in) a RSJ?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
worm
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do I plastboard over (box in) a RSJ?

by worm » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:43 am

Hi I have recently removed an internal wall in my house and fitted a RSJ (8x4). I want to box it in with plaserboard but not too sure how to go about it?

I have wedged in wooden knoggins in the sides of the RSJ so as that i can fix the board to these, but how do you fix it to the bottom (underneath) of the RSJ??? no nails???? ha

Any help/advice would be brilliant!!! :D

Chris

Masterplaster
Labourer
Labourer

Plastering over RSJ

by Masterplaster » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Hi Worm,

You could make sure that the noggins are large enough in width so that they protrude beyond the profile of the RSJ and screw the board into these from the underneath, or you could fix the plaster board using the dot and dab method.

This is how I have done it on many jobs in the past.

Hope this helps

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:32 pm

Hi worm, Masterplaster solution are good. You could also, (a little more complicated) build 2 timber frame studs to go the full length of both side of RSJ.
So you can securely fix timber to ceiling and wall at both ends, this should drop just below bottom Of RSJ. Then board over that, remembering that RSJs should be either double boarded of fire boarded. Fire Regs.
Hope helpfull
KB

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:57 am