How do I raise Joists???
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Deadstar
Labourer
Labourer

How do I raise Joists???

Post by Deadstar » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:54 pm

Hi all, I've bought a 1904 detached place which had slipped at the front and was underpinned - Had the structural engineer go over the place and its fine. I am however left with all the first floor rooms slopping towards the front of the property. As I intend to replace all the ceilings and replaster all the walls, can i use use bottle jacks and acro's to lift the joists then pack underneath them? And just to make it interesting, the front room ground floor rooms are suspended - does this effect anything in terms of lifting the joist?
Thanks

Any help advice tips etc much appreciated.

pablo2
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by pablo2 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:25 pm

Not sure I understand this but

The joists will probably go into the walls , the skirting and the plaster in the rooms above would foul . I would remove the old fllorboards and pack them up and lay some 18mm or 20 mm flooring

Pablo

property man
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by property man » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:10 am

remove flooring and level joists with strips of wood nailed to the top start at the highest point in the room then relay floor with p5 boards nailed and glued

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:01 am

See the DIY Doctor projects section, levelling floor joists.

heath f harris
Labourer
Labourer

1 st. floor slope

Post by heath f harris » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:48 am

maybe the rooms you're talkin' about are built on a porch foundation, that would be the reason for the pitch, so any water on an open porch would drain away from the foundation./ ext. walls.if that's not the case , it might be an extention with a bad foundation. if it was done in a slab , look outside where the structure starts and look for cracks where they married the foundation, [ this is also the case with a block or poured foundation.] you should check the ceiling joists, if they arre level, [or much less than the floor] then it was probably built on a porch structure. [this is better than a poor foundation.!] if not , YOU WILL NEED START WITH A REAL FOUNDATION! it is very important. if you cheap out on it, it WILL cost you sooner than you think. but it's still not that bad if you have the $$ . [ i'm not trying to sell you, i do fine home improvements on F.I , NY, ONLY....] so , DO NOT do it , unless the foundation is sound. if it is , you could rip out the flooring [ down to the joists] and sister them up level, new subfloof, ten flooring. i hope i helped.

heath f harris
Labourer
Labourer

1 st. floor slope

Post by heath f harris » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:57 am

maybe the rooms you're talkin' about are built on a porch foundation, that would be the reason for the pitch, so any water on an open porch would drain away from the foundation./ ext. walls.if that's not the case , it might be an extention with a bad foundation. if it was done in a slab , look outside where the structure starts and look for cracks where they married the foundation, [ this is also the case with a block or poured foundation.] you should check the ceiling joists, if they arre level, [or much less than the floor] then it was probably built on a porch structure. [this is better than a poor foundation.!] if not , YOU WILL NEED START WITH A REAL FOUNDATION! it is very important. if you cheap out on it, it WILL cost you sooner than you think. but it's still not that bad if you have the $$ . [ i'm not trying to sell you, i do fine home improvements on F.I , NY, ONLY....] so , DO NOT do it , unless the foundation is sound. if it is , you could rip out the flooring [ down to the joists] and sister them up level, new subfloof, ten flooring. i hope i helped.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:48 pm