how do i remove gloss paint from my door jambs ?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diffinking
Labourer
Labourer

how do i remove gloss paint from my door jambs ?

by diffinking » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:12 am

hi all im looking to take my door jambs back to the original wood .. the jambs currrently have been gloss painted by the last owners ..

what way do you people recommending getting the gloss off the easiest
i all so have to do the side of my stairway
thnx ryan ..

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:51 am

Go to the projects section and look at Paint stripping. There is an eco friendly paint stripper there which is great.

pbp
Apprentice
Apprentice

paint removal

by pbp » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Take a look in the projects page under paint stripping.. Eco Solutions have a totally safe one to remove that stuff and works very well indeed.

whisperss
Labourer
Labourer

by whisperss » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:33 pm

It depends what you want to do with the frame once its stripped. If you want to repaint it, then the strip doesnt have to be perfect so either sand down the existing paint, undercoat and then two top coats. Or if the existing paint is in very poor condition then use a heat gun paint stripper, light sand, undercoat, two top coats (this is also the easiest method).

If however you are after the holy grail of a complete strip to natural wood for a perfect varnish finish, then be prepared for a liitle bit of extra work, although the results are stunning.
I completely stripped a bungalow, thats all doorframes, window frames, picture rails etc etc. I tried all the proprietary methods, none worked for a even half way decent finish and I settled on the following routine, then it all went smoothly and very fast.

1. Strip existing paint with a heatgun. Doesnt need to be perfect as its just removing paint that will clog the sanding.
2. Use an ordinary electric drill, put a 3" rubber wheel in the end and use medium grit sanding disks (all standard stuff at B&Q).
Run the disk over the doorframe angling it around the curved edges. Dont attempt any hand sanding as you will be there forever, do all sanding with the drill. (Change disks as they become clogged)
You will leave small "corners" where the disk cant reach, take a sharp chisel and remove these "dirty" corners.
It sounds odd but with varnished stripped wood you dont need a perfect finish, any marks or mistakes you make when sanding actually enhance the finish.
Varnish in a "non yellowing" varnish.
Its good for 30+ years but if it ever gets tired then just sugar soap and if necessary another coat of varnish.

Drawbacks:
It sounds more difficult than it actually is.
Its compulsive, once you start you will be stripping everything.
Its mucky, the dust gets everywhere so make sure you empty the room/cover items first.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:48 am