How do I seal my outer wall
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
WullieW
Labourer
Labourer

How do I seal my outer wall

by WullieW » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi
I will make this as short as possible.
My house sits at the bottom of a hill, there is a 14ft lane between my house & next door house, the lane was used by a lorry firm until about 3 yrs ago, they used the left over tar from jobs to resurface the lane, the lane got higher and higher over the years so much so it covered the three vents on that side of my house. Water had got in the vents over the years floors & joists had to be replaced, I dug a trench 18" deep installed a soak away pipe the type farmers use for draining fields, I also built three brick towers with an air brick at top/front. My question is should I fill the trench with whin stone & what can I use to paint onto the house wall to stop any water penetration ( wet roughtcasted walls ). Should I leave the trench open and just cover the drain pipe ? dont get me wrong theres never any water in the trench just damp wet loose dirt.
Sorry it's long winded hard to explain.

Wullie

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How do I seal my outer wall

by welsh brickie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:52 am

use a pva solution to seal the wall and put chippings in the trench it will aid the drainage.

WullieW
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How do I seal my outer wall

by WullieW » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks for the the info Welsh brickie, would it help if I also coated it with bitumen or would this cause problems?
Wullie

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:12 am