how do you wire the switch wire in a junction box?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
postman pot
Labourer
Labourer

how do you wire the switch wire in a junction box?

by postman pot » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:24 pm

How exactly do you terminate the switch wire to a light using a junction box. Is it live to live, neutral to neutral etc. Or do you wire the neutral of the switch wire to the live as you would do with a ceiling rose?

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:29 am

I was told red to red, yellow to yellow, and blue to bits. From your description it is hard to work out what you are doing. If you are taking both lives to the switch then neutrals would normally be connected with a block connector and Lines connected through the switch. The switch wires normally have no neutral, they may have a blue or black wire which should have a sleeve on it to show it is not neutral but line.
Note:- Both neutral and phase wires are considered as live so we call phase wire Line on a single phase system.
Eric

postman pot
Labourer
Labourer

re- junction box switch wiring.

by postman pot » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:50 am

thanks for replying to my question. As further explaintion i'm replacing two old wall uplighters with two new ones. Each light is fed from a single twin and earth which comes out from a rather crude hole cut out in the wall adjacent to each light, however, when i switch the switch both lights come on. So therefore how is terminated? Does the switch wire terminate into a junction box with the two lighting spurs fed directly from this?

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Sorry but no real convention for wall lights.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:51 am