How Long Will My Fence Posts Last?
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jazzer
Labourer
Labourer

How Long Will My Fence Posts Last?

by jazzer » Fri May 09, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi all,

I have recently put in some extremely hard work by erecting a new fence and have some worrying concerns now.

I have concreted in 12 - 8' x 4" posts and attached 5" rails with gaps to allow wind to travel through, however when I concreted in the posts, I failed to protect the base of the post in any way (9 of them anyway)

After recent wet weather I can see that the posts at ground level have a wet appearance which I can only assume is water ingress that has travelled up from the soil at the base of the ground.

Although a little late in the day - the last 3 were placed in plastic bags and there is no evidence of this ingress travelling up the posts.

The posts were sat 30" down, but only with concrete around them rather than underneath.

Does this mean that the others will now rot very quickly? I will be devastated if this is the case.

Help!

Thanks Jason

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: How Long Will My Fence Posts Last?

by proptech » Sat May 10, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi jazzer

provided you used pre-treated posts intended for fencing, you should get a reasonable life from them.
The use of polythene bags is a debatable point.

jazzer
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How Long Will My Fence Posts Last?

by jazzer » Tue May 13, 2014 8:18 pm

proptech wrote:Hi jazzer

provided you used pre-treated posts intended for fencing, you should get a reasonable life from them.
The use of polythene bags is a debatable point.

Okay thanks - yes the posts were pre-treated from a local timber merchants.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:57 pm