How many spurs?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
xraynorm
Labourer
Labourer

How many spurs?

by xraynorm » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:04 pm

Hello.

Is there a limit to the number of spurs I can take from a socket on the ring mains?

Thanks

pyro_mania
Apprentice
Apprentice

by pyro_mania » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:03 am

The number of spurs must NOT exceed the number of sockets on the ring. Max one spur from a socket (unless using FCU).

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:09 am

Hi,
one single or double socket per spur, taken direct from a socket or using a joint box. Or from origin of circuit ie at con.unit!
Optionally if you go to a fused connection unit (fused spur) first then no limit to number of outlets on a spur.Usefull if feeding say a conservatory, also can be run in 1.5mm fron FCU if run is short
I can hear the keyboards clattering already so will mention appendix 15 in red book as source.
regards SPARX

xraynorm
Labourer
Labourer

by xraynorm » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:14 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I have a socket on the ring mains. I have taken two spurs from this in the form of single plug sockets to power a extraction fan, and the ignition for my gas hob.

So I need to change these to FCUs to conform to the regs?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:32 pm

Hi best way would be to fit an unswitched FCU by original socket, divert out going cable[s] thro' it with short link from socket to FCU, then you could if wanted loop on from single sockets for say under cupboard lights ect.
we must of course point out that any wiring in a kitchen is notifiable to Bldg Control, see 'projects Part-P'
regards SPARX

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:35 am