How Much Does Flooring Affect Heat Dispersal in a Room?
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

enzoru
Labourer
Labourer

How Much Does Flooring Affect Heat Dispersal in a Room?

by enzoru » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:56 am

Hi all,

I am desperately seeking impartial advise regarding my situation.

I purchased a New Build home a few months ago, during the summer. I did this, after renting a New Build from a different developer, and being impressed with how little I was ever using the heating (never for the bedrooms, in over a year) and still having optimal temperatures even when outside was below zero.

My house is a 4-bed semi with three floors, the en-suite master bedroom being by itself on the top floor.

With 0 degrees outside, during the night (no heating on whatsoever) the temperatures drop to 17 or below in the bedrooms, and 2 hours of heating this morning barely brought the temperature to 17.8.

My neighbour has 21.5 in the top bedroom on average.

As you gathered from the subject, we have different flooring. My neighbour has classic carpet in the bedrooms and laminate downstairs, I have hard flooring throughout (12mm Balterio laminate, with 3mm underlay). There possibly is another difference: they might be having the heating at the ground floor on for most part of the day. That's not something we do. It's only on early in the morning and from 5:30pm to 11:30pm (and only if the temperature is below 20).

Do these differences justify the huge difference in room temperatures we get in the bedrooms?

I also have some very small draughts around the windows that the developer is due to correct soon. But I am fairly sure my neighbour has got some, too, as other neighbours have lamented the same about draughts.

With the house I used to rent, I found that the heating from downstairs will top up the already very good temperature in the bedrooms, and heat will never escape (sometimes I left windows open all day during a spring day or summer day, only to find the temperature to still be 24-25 degrees in the bedrooms). And downstairs I always had above 20 during the day, though it'd drop below that during the night. I also find I can't reach 21-22 easily downstairs, which I did very easily in the other place.

Thoughts?

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:22 pm