How often do I need to repaint?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ainwood
Labourer
Labourer

How often do I need to repaint?

by ainwood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:19 am

We live in NZ, and have a house in the UK. Our UK house is a brick detached one. In summer 2006, we had the exterior windows and fascias painted. Our property manager advises that they need repainting again now - less than 5 years since it was last done. We are pretty shocked by this - New Zealand has pretty harsh conditions (particularly UV), and we can normally expect paint to last 10 years here (although we don't have the snow). Our property manager said that "most external woodwork need redecorating every 2-3 years from experience to keep on top of things and stop the paint from peeling and the wood from rotting".

I think it should last much longer than 2-3 years. Am I misinformed, or did we indeed get a pretty poor job done?

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:39 am

Hi ainwood, usually the recommended time between painting the exerior is 4 to 6 years for most areas in the UK. Often management companies have a set time that they have for repainting but this should be set out in the agreement you will have signed when you agreed to have them to look after the property for you.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:52 pm

I'd say the same 4-6 year. You dont want moisture getting in to the wood, its like rust when it starts it just keeps getting worse. Best to keep on top of it especially with our harsh winters, Seen it all to often people just leave it till its too late then expect me to repair a fascia thats beyond repair.

ainwood
Labourer
Labourer

by ainwood » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:39 pm

Thanks for your responses. 2-3 years seemed excessive. 4-6 is something I can live with.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:24 am

i'd say just do it when it needs doing!

a visual inspection is always the best way to determine if it needs doing - depending on the quality of the job and materials used there's no reason why the work can't last 10 years or more. in fact some exterior gloss manufacturers will guarantee their finish for that time provided the work is done to a standard.

2-3 years is excessive unless it was a shoddy job and now there is peeling paint. sounds to me like the management company is just trying to get a commission out of you.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:45 am