How Simple is Replacing Bay Window Windowsill?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jawswing
Labourer
Labourer

How Simple is Replacing Bay Window Windowsill?

by Jawswing » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:19 pm

I've just bought my first house, I'm in the process of stripping everything out, and I am planning on a few alterations and a complete renovation on a very modest budget.
The house does have double glazing (albeit old), and I wouldn't be able to afford to replace the windows even though I'd like to.

Anyway, the front living room window is a bay window, and the windowsill is a wooden board. I'm under the impression it isn't as simple as replacing a normal window sill would be, I believe the window would need to be taken out. Which, is too much hassle.

It's varnished in a mahogany colour. Which, isn't what I'm wanting at all. Wouldn't mind it either in just white, or oak to match the furniture.

Any advice on what I can do before I plaster the place?

JamesDon95
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How Simple is Replacing Bay Window Windowsill?

by JamesDon95 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi there,

IS this the internal window board or the external window cill that needs replacing? if its the board internally, it is reasonably easy and painless, most firms install by bedding it on with silicone so it may be hard to get it off but it will eventually, try a crowbar if all else fails, but go carefully not to hit the glass in the window of course, once its off, get either poly-board from a plastics supplier or laminated MDF, be sure to use a trade counter as larger firms, we shan't name names *cough* selco *cough*, will charge a fortune for the stuff. once you have it, be sure to cut a 50mm horn either side and refit with silicone, be sure to fill any large cavities with expanding foam should there be any, and dont forget to seal up after!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:04 pm