How straight does plasterboard wall need to be?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
briertonlane
Labourer
Labourer

by briertonlane » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:33 pm

I've just finished building a stud wall and have discovered there is a bow in the middle at one end. My question is this: when the plasterer comes to skim the new wall will he make it look straight by his use of plaster or will the bow still be evident when the plasterer has finished?

My hope is that plasters must meet all kinds of conditions so are likely to be good at straightening dodgy walls. Am I being naieve?

LonPLast
Labourer
Labourer

by LonPLast » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:07 pm

Oops!

You would normally expect a Plasterboard wall to be straight (although most other walls aren't)

How bad is the bow & is it likely to cause a problem further down the line? i.e. fitting kitchen/bath units, worktop etc?

A competent plasterer may be able to take out some of the bowing with skim (or use some backing plaster first) but difficult to say without having seen it first.

If the bow is really bad is it not worth/cheaper to unscrew some of the plasterboard and level it up before you call in a plasterer? Alternatively will you even notice it once its all plastered, painted, furniture in etc?

Best of luck!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:15 am