How to Attach Wooden Beams From Wall to Wall
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
attaboy
Labourer
Labourer

How to Attach Wooden Beams From Wall to Wall

by attaboy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi there
I have a real easy question. I have a garage that is 6 meters X 3 meters about and want to convert it into a studio. I need to create a ceiling which I will fill with insulation. What I need to do is to hang wooden beams across the width of the garage about 50cm below the actual ceiling as in the diagram.

What is the easiest way to do this? It doesn't need to support a lot of weight as the insulation is light but it should be sturdy.

THanks in advance for any help!
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to Attach Wooden Beams From Wall to Wall

by welsh brickie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:17 pm

you need 2, 100x50mm timber with joist hangers nailed every 400mm apart, attach the timbers to the wall @ 3m span, and drill and fix them to the wall using thunderbolts 100mm long.
then the joists will slot into the joist hangers, you will also need to brace in between using cut pieces of timber called noggins

attaboy
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How to Attach Wooden Beams From Wall to Wall

by attaboy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:18 pm

welsh brickie wrote:you need 2, 100x50mm timber with joist hangers nailed every 400mm apart, attach the timbers to the wall @ 3m span, and drill and fix them to the wall using thunderbolts 100mm long.
then the joists will slot into the joist hangers, you will also need to brace in between using cut pieces of timber called noggins

thanks for your reply

so these noggins are just pieces of wood between each beam of wood?

Have a look at my new diagram. Does it seem I understand what you are saying?
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:35 pm