how to become corgi registered!!
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
beesley121
Apprentice
Apprentice

how to become corgi registered!!

by beesley121 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:06 am

Hi guys,

im after some advice please

im 26 and i want to know how i can become corgi registered.

i am quite good at plumbing already having done quite a few kitchens and bathroom installs for family and also i have worked with a corgi registered gas fitter.

i have seen may courses offered on the internet, that say they train you to become fully registered for approx £5000.00. i am prepared to pay this providing i will be fully qualified at the end but im sure im still getting ripped off

what other way is there of becoming a gas fitter??? i dont want it to take years to do, i would rather just get it over and done with

im really hard working and willing to listen and learn. i just need a chance to prove myself. please guys, any help appreciated as im out of work at the moment due to redundancy and i taking this as a chance to make something of myself.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:44 pm

'i dont want it to take years to do, i would rather just get it over and done with'

It should take years you'll be working with gas. Everyone would rather get it over and done with but that doesn't ensure safety. I served 4 years as a plumber/gas fitter.

Try to get a start with BG they will provide all good training, I wouldn't pay for a fastrack course as you will find people wont be willing to take you on (I wouldn't).

Do the time, get the qualifications as you wont go wrong. At the end of the day a simple mistake may cost lives and you may end up in prison.

htg

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:45 pm

Seeing as how they're being remarkably coy about the whole thing (to the detriment of the industry I might add IMHO and I'm NOT an RGI) Corgi ceased to be the holder of the register as of the first of this month and it is now adminstered by Capita on behalf of HMG. The new register is called Gas Safe.

Google "gassaferegister.co.uk/"

FYI

Cheers

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:47 am

Also Corgi do NOT run the gas register any more.
It is a company called Capita who run the 'Gas Safe Register'

I'm a little more optimistic than ' our bonny marra'

Do more research on the routes to being qualified!

What area are you in?

beesley121
Apprentice
Apprentice

by beesley121 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:36 pm

im in widnes, cheshire mate

im prepared to travel

htg engineer - when i said i wanted to get it over and done with, what i ment was people can do a course for 1 day a week for i think 2 or 3 years and become qualified providing they have done the onsit bit with a competent corgi fitter. i would rather do all them days in one go, so instead of it taking 3 year at 1 day a week, its more like 3 or 4 months with doing 5 days a week.

i undstand there is alot to learn and im not taking it likely.

i just want/need someone to give me a chance. i guarantee they will not be disappointed.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:36 am

"competent corgi fitter"

One of the things you need to do when embarking on any trade is to learn to listen. Twice now you've been told on this thread that the kennel club is no more for gas registrations and its now Gas Safe! People won't give you a chance if your not prepared to listen as they'll be wasting ther own precious time.

You learn your trade by experience. There is no short cut. These fast track courses will not equip you to be a heating engineer out of the blocks.

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:15 am

You can still join CORGI - just pay the fee.
But you cannot work on gas legally without being on the Gas Safe Register.

Good Luck, let us know how you get on - but I'd strongly recommend against any type of fastrack training - unless you plan on working for yourself, because you'll struggle to find employment.

htg

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

by bazza » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:45 pm

hi beesley, i spent 3 yrs at collage doing 2 days a week to get my nvq level 3 .did all my gas training,and all i needed was sum work xperience with a corgi registered company/fitter. i live in the north west and i tried every company and every local tradesperson. but no'one was willing to give me a go.they all say the same thing, they want someone experienced but if they not prepared to take you on how you meant to get the experience ? catch 22! i gained my level 3 and also my water regs,and unvented hot water certificate. back in 2005,and unfortunately am still in my old job.im not saying you cant do it,it just may be harder then you think, but gud luck mate i hope you av more success then me bazza!

beesley121
Apprentice
Apprentice

by beesley121 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:31 pm

im after advice and im willing more than u think to listen and learn.

i am aware corgi is no more and it is now gas safe as of the 1st of this month but old habits die hard. im sure there are millions of people out there that do not know the corgi is no more. i understand this, it was just a slip of the tongue or more a slip of the fingers.

there is always someone around when some needs help and advice to kick them while they are down. This is exactly why im getting no where, cos people like you decide you are better and take it upon yourself to judge someone you dont even know.

beesley121
Apprentice
Apprentice

by beesley121 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:29 pm

htg engineer, thanks for your advice.

i do in the end plan on working for myself asn if push comes to shove and i cant find anyone willing to take me on, especially at these harsh times, i may have no choice but to do a fast track course and become self-employed. im really handy and i could honestly say that i would have no problems putting a central heating system in myself as ive done it before many times and had it passed off by a competent CORGI (now as safe) installer.

i would rather be took on by someone though as there is always tips and tricks and other valuble information that can be gainned by working with someone that has been in the trade for years that you just can learn from going to college.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1