How to Clean up an Historical Damp Issue in House?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

jonathanfox
Labourer
Labourer

How to Clean up an Historical Damp Issue in House?

by jonathanfox » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:02 pm

Hi, I'd love to get some advice on the following issue.

I have purchased a house recently which seems to have had some historical damp issues. The back bedroom has an external chimney breast which has been capped and ventilated and additional air bricks were recently installed by the freeholder (council) and there is a internal ventilation grille.

There is a dirty old carpet in the bedroom we want to get rid of and replace with a new one. Currently there is a faint smell of something related to damp we always smell in the night which isn't very nice.

Under the carpet is underlay then hardboard then a mix or original and replacement pine floorboards. There is clearly evidence of damp staining the floorboards on the chimney wall.

I have since lifted out the hardboard on that wall and then removed a thin layer of concrete that was brittle & breaking up. Under this is a more solid stone hearth which is cracked and appears to be slightly wet in places. It's been covered up under concrete for years though so I guess this might not be too surprising.

There doesn't seem to be any damp on the walls but the external brick walls seem to have been covered up with plasterboard by the previous owners.

What's the best way to go about sorting this ? Should I remove the hearth, add some additional floorboards, treat the ends and then lay my new carpet?

Maybe add a damp proof membrane over the hearth area and then lay my carpet?

Thanks

Images
Before lifting hardboard out.
Before lifting hardboard out.

Right side, old boards.
Right side, old boards.
The hearth
The hearth
Left side, newer boards, evidence of damp staining coming in from wall. not currently wet.
Left side, newer boards, evidence of damp staining coming in from wall. not currently wet.

It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:30 pm