How to Connect new Ceiling Light as Confused About Where Wires go
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alanjohn
Labourer
Labourer

How to Connect new Ceiling Light as Confused About Where Wires go

by alanjohn » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:06 pm

I am trying to connect a new ceiling light but the wires in the ceiling are as follows:- 2 red wires,2 black wires & 1 copper wire which I assume is the earth wire.
The new light has 1 blue wire,1 brown wire & 1 earth wire.
Which wires connect to each other as I have tried several combinations but nothing seems to work

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to Connect new Ceiling Light as Confused About Where Wires go

by ericmark » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:51 pm

I would have expected two bare wires with yellow/green sleeve on them, But as to others red to red ,black to brown, and other black to blue.

With a bayonet lamp holder it does not really matter which black is which, with a screw lamp holder centre should be switched line and screw should be neutral, in theory you should have a red sleeve on one of the black wires, in practice often missing.

As long as lights are switched off when changing bulbs in real terms getting the blacks the wrong way around should not matter.

If you have connected black together likely you have blown the fuse.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Well there is no simply answer on how to wire the lights up.
It really does depend on what the cables are functioning as? It is hard to tell for sure what the original installer was thinking.

But the most common way would be as Eric was posted above, having the two reds as live loop, then one black as the returning switch line (the switch line should really be identified, with a red sleeve).
Then the second black would be the neutral. It is best established which core is which and this can be done simply by testing for voltage between each black core with the switch in the on position. Switch line and earth would give a reading of about 240V, where neutral and earth would be 0V.
It is likely that there are two earths in one sleeve or twisted together.

alanjohn
Labourer
Labourer

by alanjohn » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks for replies but in very simple terms can you help further. I connected the new light fitting up as follows......the 2 red wires from the ceiling to the to the brown wire of the light, the bare copper wire from the ceiling to the earth of the light and 1 black wire to the blue wire of the light and the other black wire connected separately.
The light stays on all the time.
Any further help would be appreciated..
Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:39 am

Put the two red in a connector not connected to light, one black to blue and one black to brown.

Does this not work?

alanjohn
Labourer
Labourer

by alanjohn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:44 am

Hi ericmark......Thanks a lot...it worked...thanks for explaining it in simple terms. I was getting so frustrated that I couldn't connect it that I even got a quote from an electrician who quoted £90 so thanks for your advice and saving me some money....really appreciate your advice........

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:04 pm

[quote="alanjohn"]Thanks for replies but in very simple terms can you help further. I connected the new light fitting up as follows......the 2 red wires from the ceiling to the to the brown wire of the light, the bare copper wire from the ceiling to the earth of the light and 1 black wire to the blue wire of the light and the other black wire connected separately.
The light stays on all the time.
Any further help would be appreciated..
Thanks[/quote]
Well it would stay on, as you have terminated directly to perm live. And not the switch lines and a looped live as instructed in earlier posts.
Please read carefully instructions given and the importance of testing, messing and guessing can get you in serious trouble.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:15 pm