how to drain down hot water cylinder to replace immersion
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scotto
Labourer
Labourer

by scotto » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:02 pm

to change immersion heater in top of cylinder i believe i need to drain some water from the cylinder but there does not appear to be a drain cock. is there another way of draining the cylinder?

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:42 pm

hi mate,

isolate the cold water supply to the tank that feed the cylinder. Now open all you taps that are fed by the tank/cylinder until they are showing no more water.

Now theoretically your cylinder will still be full but there will be no pressure forcing the water out (cold water storage empty as supple isolated). There will be a little bit of water left just above where the hot water leaves the cylinder, how much depends on how well the system was installed. Slowly undo the immersion heater to test how much water is left in the pipe (at this point there may be a bit of water so I'd advise a bucket or a bin bag, one without holes!) and let it drain down.

Eventually the water should stop coming and you should be able to remove the immersion heater.

don't want to sound like an old man but here goes... please isolate the electrical supply to the immersion heater before you do anything else!

If that doesn't work then I don't know, that's how I changed one before!

Cheers

AH.

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:16 pm

Yes turn off cold water stop tap and then open hot tap on both basin and sink also tie up ball valve on header tank to stop header tank filling main tank back up. then you can take out immersion heater coil. when doing this dont forget to isolate electric supply for immersion heater
regards
Topspark

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:52 pm

I'm thinkng he would have fixed it by now, it was a post from JUNE

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1