How to externally insulate a fireplace wall
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bernieg
Labourer
Labourer

How to externally insulate a fireplace wall

by bernieg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:50 am

I have a log burning stove standing in the fireplace of a 1930's house where the chimney breast wall is only single brick thick. During the cold winter months only there is a problem with condensation/wetness forming on the inside surfaces of the chimney breast wall when the stove is not used and I think fitting external wall insulation on the outside of that area of chimney breast may solve the problem. Does anyone know where I can get the materials required and what would be best to use. The area to be insulated is less than 2 metres squared.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to externally insulate a fireplace wall

by welsh brickie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:46 pm

For this job you must use non combustable materials so it can be 50x50mm metal U channel profile with 50mm fiberglass insulation then fireproof plasterboard screwed to the profile
Or you can use thermalite blocks, which are ideal but will increase the chimney breast width by 200mm

bernieg
Labourer
Labourer

by bernieg » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks for the advise but I need to insulate the outside of the wall ie on the outside of the house as there is insufficient room in the fireplace. I would be grateful for any further advise.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:00 pm

it would be pointless to insulate the outside of the breasting and costly.But if your getting moisture on the inside,You could spray a silicone sealant on the external brickwork to seal it.

bernieg
Labourer
Labourer

by bernieg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks for the advise.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:49 am