How to finish off damp-proof membrane under concrete?
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fireside
Labourer
Labourer

How to finish off damp-proof membrane under concrete?

by fireside » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi

So I have laid a fairly large concrete base to accommodate a heavy metal shed as so I incorporated a damp-proof membrane prior to laying the concrete to minimize condensation.

My dilemma is what to I do with the damp-proof membrane overhang? Which is the best way to finish it off? I don’t want to compromise the effectiveness of it by wrongly trimming or something.

I would prefer not to incur further costs, like putting brick around it etc.

Just no idea how to finish it, the shed is still to be erected as the concrete is still drying.

Many Thanks

thedoctor

Re: How to finish off damp-proof membrane under concrete?

by thedoctor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:54 am

Turn the overlap up the sides and trap it in position by placing the shed walls on top of it. You can then trim any surplus by running a hobby knife around the internal perimeter of the shed.

If the overlap is not long enough for this method you can still turn it up as far as it will go and hold it in position by making a timber frame (ideally the depth of the base) to fit round the slab. The top edge of the timber frame should then have a batten fixed to it to seal the gap between slab and frame and stop rain getting into it.This has the benefit of giving you a "finished edge" also.

It is pointless trying to stick the poly to the sides of the slab as any rain will soon find its way into the upturn and soon force it to become unstuck.

I'm afraid there is no successful method which does not involve some cost

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:25 pm