HOW TO FIT A NEW HANDLE TO A DOUBLE GLAZED WINDOW??
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nightofjoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

HOW TO FIT A NEW HANDLE TO A DOUBLE GLAZED WINDOW??

by nightofjoy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:11 pm

I got a little overexcited while trying to close a window a few days ago, and tore off the handle.

I've got hold of a replacement handle, but don't know how to fit it.

What was left on the window it'self was the handle mounting bracket, with 2 screws either side, and the square section centre axle, which I'd sheared off flush to the mounting bracket.

I've removed the screws and the bracket, so now I just have the bare UPVC window with a cm or so of axle, with a screw hole either side.

The new handle has the axle attached. But I can't seem to pull the remains of the old one from the window.

Any suggestions...?

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

by allan the locksmith » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:25 pm

Unless you remove the old spindle you wont be able to fit the new handle as you have discovered.Try drilling a hole in the spindle and then drive a strong screw into it.Now use a claw hammer to lever it out.
Now fit the new handle,the spindle may need cutting to the right length before fitting.

pixie
Labourer
Labourer

by pixie » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi, I have a similar problem.

The handle has broken off whilst I was trying to open my window, it's still shut. I have got a screw out of the bit left on the window (bracket?) but I think there is another one under a small plate, how do I get to it? I had the handle missing on another window when I first moved in and I swear the landlord took 2 minutes to replace the unit, it seemed really easy, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help...

jazzyjames999
Labourer
Labourer

by jazzyjames999 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:20 am

BUMP!!

I have the same prob as the person above! The other screw is trapped under a plate and I cant wedge it out??

Can anyone help? Surely they cant/shouldn't have made it that hard to get to the other screw.

lariston
Apprentice
Apprentice

by lariston » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:14 pm

the cover plate is held on with a low tack adhesive. Pop the point of a sharp knife in the small gap between the cover and the body of the handle and gently lever it out. Do not worry about damaging it as all new handles come with new cover plates

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:54 am