how to fit door at the end of a partition wall
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
briertonlane
Labourer
Labourer

how to fit door at the end of a partition wall

by briertonlane » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:23 pm

I am planning to enclose our open plan living room by building a stud wall.

My problem is the door will be at the end of the stud wall and hinge on the existing wall.Do I simply fit the door hinges to to the end stud which is attached to the existing wall or do I need to attach a door liner to the end stud?

If I just fix the hinges to the end stud the door lining at the top of the door frame and on the other side will be wider than the stud but if I do attach a door liner to the end stud it will over lap because door liners are wider than timber studs.The job is further complicated by the fact that another door opening is right next to the proposed new door.

What do you normally do when fitting a door at the end of a stud wall as opposed to the middle?

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:41 pm

I think it would be normal practice to fit the door just off the end of the proposed wall so that there was a little wall to the side of the frame.

The door liner will be wider than the timber studs, however it should be flush with any plasterboards that you will attach to both sides of the studs to complete the wall.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:51 pm