How to make the edge of a wooden shelf evenly rounded?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mchid
Labourer
Labourer

How to make the edge of a wooden shelf evenly rounded?

Post by mchid » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi,

I have some panelling that I wish to finish off with a small shelf on top - I've seen these in victorian buildings where you have vertical panelling to dada rail height, then a small shelf (4-5" deep) on top.

The question is - how do I round off the edge - or heavily smooth down the sharp edges such that it looks even through the whole shelf (which is about 8' long)? Is there a specific tool or method for this? Or do I just hand sand it and hope it is even?

Mark

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 am

A router would be the best tool. But if its just a small amount, i would get some arm exorcise. You could get it started with a plane or surf form, then onto sandpaper.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:23 pm

a router with a roundover bit and a bearing guide would be my choice of method. though from the sounds of things you are probably not familiar with routing.

no reason why you can't have a go tho.

routers are pretty expensive so for a one-off job it would be cheaper to hire one with the necessary cutter.

don't just start on the piece that you wish to cut - get some scrap MDF or similar and have a practice first. this is also essential to ensure that the cutter is set to the correct depth.

most roundover bits are actually 'ovolo' so the cutting edge extends up the side of the cutter so if it is set too deep you'll end up with a different profile. will make more sense when you have the cutter in your hand.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:56 pm