how to make wonky walls straight by dry lining
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
plastermonkey
Labourer
Labourer

how to make wonky walls straight by dry lining

Post by plastermonkey » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:13 am

Hi all,

I've got a fairly small hallway where the old plaster was starting to come away from the bricks. I've stripped it back to the bricks and I want to drywall it with adhesive.

I checked the walls and they are not plumb, about 4-5 centimetres different between top and bottom of wall.

I've done it before in the bathroom and although I made the plasterboard straight when I put it on the wall, it seems the adhesive pulls the board in as it sets. I think because I had a large thickness at the top and a small thickness at the bottom the wall ended up wonky because the shrinkage depended on the thickness of the adhesive - I want to avoid the same mistake this time!

So, what's the best way to make sure when the plasterboard goes on the resulting wall is plumb?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Mark.

neald
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by neald » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:14 pm

hi mark,could you not just fasten timbers to the wall at different thickness,if you get the timbers plumb you could just screw the boards on...neald

plastermonkey
Labourer
Labourer

Post by plastermonkey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:21 pm

Thanks I think that's what I'll do. I bonded one side yesterday because the bricks were pretty straight. I'll put timbers over the other side like you suggest and screw the boards on instead of bonding it.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:04 pm