How to pass cables across a ceiling cavity?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
elneek
Labourer
Labourer

How to pass cables across a ceiling cavity?

by elneek » Wed May 16, 2007 7:12 pm

Here's my problem - I've got a relatively large square lounge with the sky box & hifi equipment in the corner tucked out the way, the flatscreen TV in the opposite corner on a wall bracket and I want to have four speakers in each of the top corners.

What I don't want is the wires (speaker and TV aerial) for all this to be on view so I want to pass the cabling up and across the ceiling cavity but I can't think for the life of me how I can do this.

I obviously need to make holes in the ceiling where I want the cables to go up and down through but how do I get them from one hole to the other without having to open up the whole ceiling??!!??

Can anyone help this, what seems, a relatively straightforward problem? Hope so!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed May 16, 2007 7:51 pm

Much easier to take the floor up above. Its definately not straight forward running cables across a ceiling void, especially if the joists are running the "wrong" way.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed May 16, 2007 11:13 pm

Can you hide wires behind coving?it's easier than taking up floor boards, regards SPARX

elneek
Labourer
Labourer

by elneek » Thu May 17, 2007 3:19 pm

The lounge is on the top floor so can't take the floor boards up from above and we don't have coving ...

Arnak
Tradesman
Tradesman

Wiring in ceiling

by Arnak » Thu May 17, 2007 11:37 pm

Hi,

There is a way to do it but I don't know if it correct in the new part p regs so please check first.

Cut a small hole in the ceiling just above where the wire comes at the top of the wall.

Then about 18" to 2' away cut another small hole.

Using a guide wire or a suitable item such as a electricians snake push up through the second hole and fiddle around until you see then end of the snake appear in the first hole.

Attach the wire to the snake then pull through to the second hole.

Rinse and repeat all the way across the ceiling.

his method works fine if you are going parallel to the joists.

If not you need to cut holes where the joist are that extend either side of the joists to pull the wire past.

You will then need to chisel slots in the joist to allow the wire to sit into when you re-plaster to hide the holes.

To find the joists use a stud detector or tap with a small hammer and listen for the solid sound of the joist, a stud detector is definitely the easiest way.

If this method is against the regs then I expect someone will tell me.

Arnak

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri May 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi both, as you say Arnak, it works & if you have hooky wire or hook rod set it's possible to 'fish' across length of room in 1 or 2 hops but not permitted to 'notch' joists to go other direction, only drill in centre 1/3 of depth, difficult without largish hole(s).
B of L, SPARX

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 am