How to Patch up Corners after Removing Coving?

Postby marmage » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:20 am

Hi everyone,

I want to remove the ceiling cornice in all my rooms and leave them off. I have found some online help for how to remove the cornice, but not how to patch it up afterwards.

Is there a reason why the cornices were there originally other than for decoration? Will this be a messy job for an amateur DIY-er.

Thanks!
marmage
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

DIY asbestos test kits

Postby thedoctor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:56 am

Ceiling coving is primarily to cover the joint between ceiling and wall Marmage as this is often where cracks occur. It's exactly the same reason why skirting board and door/window architraves are used. Their other nameis "cover-strips"

The best way to repair (after removing coving) is to scrape off any surplus adhesive then sand down flush with wall if necessary. Use flexible filler in the ceiling wall joint to hide any cracks.

You can see how to use flexible filler (aslo known as decorators caulk) on this page of the DIY Doctor website http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fl ... filler.htm

You can buy flexible filler in an easy to use squeezy tube from here
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... -tube.html
thedoctor

Postby marmage » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Thankyou Doctor - that's super
marmage
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!