How to plumb sink into old lead waste pipe?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
busy scissors
Labourer
Labourer

How to plumb sink into old lead waste pipe?

by busy scissors » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:25 pm

I inherited a leaking bathroom sink that looks like this:

At the bottom is an old lead U-bend that goes into the wall. Some plastic piping was jammed into this with sealant, protruding about 1 inch. This is covered by the lower piece of plastic tubing you can see. There is then the upper piece of tubing screwed into the sink, which rested on the jammed in piece coming out of the pipe. I'm no plumber, but is this not a terrible bodge job?

I've since removed all the plastic bits so just have a sink and the lead pipe U-bend.

I've had a plumber round to look at it and he didn't want to get involved - reckoned a proper job would be to cut the lead pipe all the way back behind the wall.

Is there a simple way of plumbing this sink in? Maybe short term with a view to getting the pipework replaced in the future? I'm sort of stumped with how to mate a plastic tube with the old lead pipe.

Thanks for any advice.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:36 pm

busy scissors,
You should find that a 32-40mm screwed rubber seal plastic pipe reducer/connector will fit on the outside of the lead pipe. You've already got the FI adaptor to fit on the waste so you'll need a bit more 32mm pipe and a 32mm coupler.
Eventually replace all the lead waste.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:10 pm