How to Prepare for Painting Vinyl Wallpaper
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
saki
Tradesman
Tradesman

How to Prepare for Painting Vinyl Wallpaper

by saki » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:29 am

I have a ground floor hallway that extends up a stairwell to a landing and then to the upper floor hallway - a large space - previously wallpapered in vinyl. The surface is sound but the paper is dark and I need to freshen it up.

Due to access problems in the stairwell and time/health limitations I cannot strip the paper and then paint - I am aware this is the best solution but it is not a viable option for me at the moment.

I therefore would like to paint on top of the vinyl wallpaper. Planning to use one or two coats of emulsion.

Any advice on how to approach this? Should I treat the paper first (diluted bonder) or key the surface by lightly sanding? Or is it a total non-starter because it is vinyl?

Thanks for any advice

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:38 am

to be honest i'd say it is a total non-starter as you say. expecially if the vinyl has any kind of sheen.

you could try using a vinyl emulsion, perhaps get a tester pot and give it a try in a test area. try sanding as well, though i fear that this would only lift the grain of the paper leaving unsightly bobbling.

some vinyl papers are designed to be easily stripped, often leaving their backing paper behind to serve as lining paper for the new paper/paint. you could try a test area to see how well it strips, then just paint straight on top of the backing paper.

saki
Tradesman
Tradesman

by saki » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:33 am

Thanks for the reply Chris. I would prefer to strip it but the stairwell is the problem.

Plan to try a test piece soon as I have found an off-cut from the original paper. Never thought of vinyl paint but will give it a shot as well.

Will let you know how I get on.

Sputnick007
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How to Prepare for Painting Vinyl Wallpaper

by Sputnick007 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:31 am

I know this is an old thread but I have succesfully emulsioned over a patterned vinyl wallpaper.
I might take 3 coats though as the first does not stick too well. Do not try to get a good finish with first coat, just get it on and let dry completely before second coat. If dense pattern it might show through thats why it might take 3 coats. Make sure all joints are well stuck down.
I got a good finish and the benefit is that you can still strip the vinyl off later if need be.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:38 pm