how to remove a screw that won't turn
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ZenaJoh2003
Labourer
Labourer

how to remove a screw that won't turn

by ZenaJoh2003 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:19 pm

Afternoon, you'll have to excuse my rubbish phrasing, I don't do DIY and don't know the right names for anything so you'll have to bear with me!

I'm trying to remove a solid glass shower pane to replace it with a shower curtain rail. It's attached to the wall with 2 screws, one of which refuses to come out. It turns fine, but after about 5 minutes of turning without it moving, I figured it wasn't the screw that was turning, it was the plastic rawl plug turning, meaninf the screw isn't coming out at all.

I tried giving it a gentle tug to see if brute force might work, and about 6 tiles moved slightly away from the wall! I don't fancy retiling, any suggestions?

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:58 am

Hi Zenaj,
If you have enough depth and your not gonna reuse the hole-simply tap the screw + plug into wall and fill hole.

Hth

Steve

ZenaJoh2003
Labourer
Labourer

by ZenaJoh2003 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am

and how do I get the glass shower pane off the wall???!

WazOz
Labourer
Labourer

by WazOz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:41 pm

[quote="ZenaJoh2003"]and how do I get the glass shower pane off the wall???![/quote] Hi, can be a pain to remove, best thing is drill it out, using a small metal drill bit, tape over the screw with masking tape to stop drill from slipping, make sure it is a strong metal drill bit and small enough to go into the screw, the screw will more than likely break which is ok, once the glass is off it would be easy to remove the remaining bits.

dbdunce
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: how to remove a screw that won't turn

by dbdunce » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:44 pm

[quote="ZenaJoh2003"]Afternoon, you'll have to excuse my rubbish phrasing, I don't do DIY and don't know the right names for anything so you'll have to bear with me!

I'm trying to remove a solid glass shower pane to replace it with a shower curtain rail. It's attached to the wall with 2 screws, one of which refuses to come out. It turns fine, but after about 5 minutes of turning without it moving, I figured it wasn't the screw that was turning, it was the plastic rawl plug turning, meaninf the screw isn't coming out at all.

I tried giving it a gentle tug to see if brute force might work, and about 6 tiles moved slightly away from the wall! I don't fancy retiling, any suggestions?[/quote]

dbdunce
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: how to remove a screw that won't turn

by dbdunce » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:47 pm

[quote="ZenaJoh2003"]Afternoon, you'll have to excuse my rubbish phrasing, I don't do DIY and don't know the right names for anything so you'll have to bear with me!

I tried giving it a gentle tug to see if brute force might work, and about 6 tiles moved slightly away from the wall! I don't fancy retiling, any suggestions?[/quote][quote] OK you have probably done it by now but if not you could grind down the screw head (not right down to the glass!) and then tap it inwards[/quote]

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:07 am