How to remove Beeswax stain from wood for normal staining?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
air004
Labourer
Labourer

How to remove Beeswax stain from wood for normal staining?

by air004 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:34 pm

I recently started to stain our new wooden front doors with a beeswax stain however am not happy with the results. I would therefore like to remove it & use a regular wood stain / dye instead however do not know what to use to remove the stuff!

Can somebody please advise me on the best methods for doing this?

Cheers
Andrew.

jules369
Labourer
Labourer

by jules369 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:33 am

Hi
Try using Colron wax remover with fine steel wool, this will remove the wax but i don't think it will get rid of the stain. You may have to sand it off.

Stuart B
Labourer
Labourer

by Stuart B » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:49 pm

Andrew

Try meths & wire wool!

My problem wan't quite the same as yours but still involved getting rid of wax. I'm doing a complete redecoration of a 1950's place which has brushed wax wood everywhere (doors, skirting, architrave, etc). I wanted to remove the wax so I can paint the wood & obviously needed to get a good surface to paint on. No-one seemed to have any ideas apart from dipping or replacing everything - then I chanced to mention the problem at my local hardware store and a chap said he'd heard that meths works well. So I tried it & it works a treat.

It may not help you with the stain, but it will get rid of your wax.

Stuart

pablo2
Tradesman
Tradesman

by pablo2 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:51 pm

Hi there

As mentioned meths will help disolve the wax but it will be difficult t to remove completely it shouldn't have penetrated to deep so sanding may be an option or a pumice mix , how much you need to remove will depend on what finish you now require and what colour , as a side note don't use steel wool if the door is oak.

Pablo

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:36 pm