How to Remove Rendering from an External Gas Pipe?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SheilaSalop
Labourer
Labourer

How to Remove Rendering from an External Gas Pipe?

by SheilaSalop » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi, our house has recently been repainted but when the British Gas fitter came to do the annual service he said the system was now unsafe because the decorators had rendered the pipe work. They of course are not interested.
How would I go about removing the render without damaging the gas pipe or is it a case of replacing the pipe?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: How to Remove Rendering from an External Gas Pipe?

by diydoctor6 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:22 am

Hi SheilaSalop,
It will be similar to removing mortar from bricks (see here for more information: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/cl ... bricks.htm).

Obviously you will need to be very careful to ensure that you do not damage or bash the pipe!

You could use Muriatic acid (the link above will give you all the information you need), although this is nasty stuff so please be careful - use all the right protective gear (https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... pment.html).

SheilaSalop
Labourer
Labourer

by SheilaSalop » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks a lot, I managed to gtt the decorator back and he scrapped it off, it looks ok but if British Gas still say it is a problem I will give your suggestions a try.

derekbrian
Labourer
Labourer

by derekbrian » Wed May 04, 2016 12:34 pm

Take spirit on small cloth peace and rub the external pipe from it. It will help you you remove rendering.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:41 am