How to Repair DPC in Downstairs Toilet Refurb

Postby leeh1706 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi guys, apologies if this is posted in the wrong area but I'm new here and it's to do with DPC.

I recently started to refurb my downstairs cloakroom because since I moved in it's smelt a bit damp, The house is of timber frame construction so I removed all the plasterboard walls from the room and the plasterboard smelt like fousty water (not wet so may be from a leak) but when I removed the ceramic floor tiles I discovered 2 large areas of the DPC missing around the soil pipe and the sink waste pipe. This had just been patched up with tile adhesive.

The DPC was about 3/4" thick (and looks like poured bitumen), it just all came away from the floor in pieces as I was trying to tidy it up so now I'm just left with the area that is under the studwork. I used a multitool to create a nice smooth area to help adhesion of the new floor.

My question is should I pour a sand/cement layer then use self levelling screed and use a paintable bitumen damp proof course on top or use a paintable damp proof course between the sand/cement layer and the self levelling compound? The new floor covering will be laminate flooring.

Photos can be provided if necessary.

Thanks
leeh1706
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:12 pm

your repair method sounds good to me
welsh brickie

Postby leeh1706 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:36 am

welsh brickie wrote:your repair method sounds good to me

Thanks, but which method? :)
leeh1706
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!