How to Seal a Leaking End Cap After Removing Sink
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
yadnom1973
Labourer
Labourer

How to Seal a Leaking End Cap After Removing Sink

by yadnom1973 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:28 pm

I had a small sink in the corner of a room I’m using and it was in the way so I removed it. I cut the hot and cold pipes and went and bought something to cap them with. At the DIY shop I bought two of these little plastic end caps that seal using the pressure in the pipe.

When I turned the water back on the hot pipe sealed up perfectly but the cold did not. The end did not pop up and water started to dribble out the side of the cap. It was as if there was not enough pressure in the cold to make the little cap work properly.

so I wrapped it up with a load of that stretchy rubber sealing tape and it did the job for a few months but today there’s a drip, more than a drip, a little spray. I got down there and wrapped more round it till it looked like a rubber ball on the end of the pipe and it’s stopped for now but I’ll need to deal with it in the near future so I’m wondering what’s the correct way to seal a pipe like this?

I’ve tried googling this but all I can find is how to fix leaking I joints but there’s no thread on the top to apply all these compounds and such, just the cut end of the 15mm pipe.

Any advise appreciated.

eeffttees
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How to Seal a Leaking End Cap After Removing Sink

by eeffttees » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:52 pm

0.99p from Screwfix
0.99p from Screwfix
Did you cut the pipe with a hacksaw or pipe cutters, ..? hack saw leaves a very rough cut which is never very square and clean,

However best fit a compression end cap, (0.99p from screwfix) (15mm pipe normally for a sink) easy to fit, just need 2 adjustable spanners or 2 pipe grip wrench,

Clean the end pipe remove any paint, slide on the compression end cap make sure there is an olive inside the compression end cap, using the 2 spanners or grips hold one end and tight the other end. and you done, should work a treat. if it still leaks you can open it up again and put some PTFE tape in the pipe and retighten, you should be good to go.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:38 pm