How to secure bath to wall and support it?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alanj
Apprentice
Apprentice

How to secure bath to wall and support it?

by alanj » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:51 pm

Hi, Shiny new P shaped acrylic shower bath has arrived but rather lacking in fittings or instructions.

Bath has adjustable feet but I'd like to secure it to the wall, but how is this done? Walls to 3 sides so very limited access to the back side.
The bath had a few bits of wood glued under the lip around all sides but in a very haphazard manner and sizes. Some bits of wood fell off when I removed the cardboard packaging, so it doesn't seem suitable for support. I don't think it's the frame referred to in your acrylic bath article, just seems to be something to staple the cardboard to.

Should I replace the wood packing with a more solid beam to help support the back edge, with verticals? Or are there clips I could use to attach it. ( may be a hook system that at least holds the bath against the back wall even if it doesn't secure it vertically? like a radiator hanger ) ). Or both?

Cheers
Alan

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to secure bath to wall and support it?

by plumbbob » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:03 am

The wood is not only there to strengthen the lip of the bath but also to hold the front and end panels in place after they are fitted.

The battens should be stuck firmly in place during manufacture and should certainly not drop off when removing the packaging. However, I have come across this problem before on poor quality budget baths.

If there is a shower above the bath, consider fitting a batten to the wall at the shower end that the lip of the bath can sit on. Finally, stick the bath to the wall with a good even bead of clear silicone and use the two brackets supplied to fix the bath from underneath to the wall.

alanj
Apprentice
Apprentice

by alanj » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks, I can fit a batten to the walls but will need a rebate so it supports the glued on wood blocks rather than the lip, as the lip is not an even depth all round!

Re the 2 supplied brackets. I don't actually have any brackets. What do these look like? A quick google search hasn't turned up anything obvious and looking at all the online bath installation manuals I can find has drawn a blank too.

cheers
Alan

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:42 pm

According to the instructions, the (3"x2") "L" shaped brackets are designed to attatch to the underside of the wood strip at the back of the bath. The protrude upwards and are fixed to the wall. In reality, nobody uses them like that but rather just fixes the bath from below at each end. The silicone holds the bath firm anyway.

Re the mis shaped edge, fit the batten as I said and run a good bead of silicone along it then bed the lip of the bath on to it. Once set, the bath will be firm and rigid.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:57 pm

Hi

For any future viewers we how have a project page dedicated to acrylic baths containing a great deal of information such as how to fit them. The project can be found here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/acrylicbaths.htm

Kind Regards

The DIY Doctor Team

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:35 pm