How to skim a long wall and ceiling?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robertg
Labourer
Labourer

How to skim a long wall and ceiling?

by robertg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:32 pm

[b]*** Not sure if my original post got through, sorry if reading this for a second time! ***[/b]

Hello

I want to skim a large room.
I presume that experienced plasterers' would be able to plaster each wall in one go, but would I be able to divide a long wall into sections to make the job easier?
Would I use straight beading to divide the wall?
Two of my walls are 20ft long, what distance would I space the beading?
Am I also able to you the beading on the ceiling?

Thanks

robertg

Ross Boseley
Apprentice
Apprentice

skim a long wall

by Ross Boseley » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:42 am

Hi mate, i'm a plasterer my self and yes we would normally do the job in one go but that speed only comes with experience. The best thing to do is as you say put a bead down the wall at half way as each bag of skimming will easily cover the 10 or so metres that are left. The only bad point in doing this is that unless you are really tidy on your bead it will always show after painting. you can do the same on your ceiling but the same applies. If i were you i'd start on the smaller walls and get a bit of practice. Always remember to start at the top left corner and work down to the bottom right and dont take to much time trying to get it looking perfect on your first coat as it is a slow process and you wont get it totally flat until youve put your second coat on and begun to trowel your wall up. hope this helps and doesn't put you off trying it.

Ross

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:07 am