Humperdink
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Humperdink

by htg engineer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Why shouldn't I advise people on how to save abit of their hard earned cash by getting Gas Installers to install a Central Heating System "on the side" rather than paying ridiculous prices charged by BG and even smaller heating companies ?

I'm just advising, at the end of the day it's their choice.

If the heating companies lowered their prices, which they could easily do and still make a profit. Then people would use them and I'd recommend them.

They're pricing themselves out of work when there's honest decent people willing to do it in their spare time alot cheaper. I will always recommend using a Installer on the side rather than a company.

Why wouldn't they answer their mobile ?

The boiler would be within the warranty period
If they don't answer and don't go back to the job and the manufacturers do, if it's their fault they'd deserve to be strung up.

humperdink
Tradesman
Tradesman

by humperdink » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:12 pm

i am all for people getting work done at an honest price, & if you know a plumber or have a genuine recommendation from someone you know homers can be a great way of getting a good job done reasonably

its just that when people dont know and pick a couple of names out of the yellow pages you dont know who they could get & boiler manufacturers can easily refuse to do warranty work if the installation is incorrect in any way- even if its not causing a problem

i even got ripped off by a gardener 2 summers ago, could have done it myself but too busy so got a couple of quotes, nice guy, mid range quote, only discovered after a year as grass died and patio sank he had cut many corners - and could i get a hold of him - no company had gone 'bust'

now maybe that was just luck of the draw and you are right that big companies overcharge, so now i feel like i am rambling, and i see your point that we are all grown ups and have to make our own decisions.
so in a way i agree with you(how did that happen)

I just really urge people, especially if they are older more vulnerable people, to be very careful because there are people out there who will take your money and have no morals

in my defence its been a long day so maybe thats why i've changed my tune and agree with you, i will try not to let it happen again

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:06 pm

Probably the main reason for not getting a gas appliance fitted on the side is because it is Illegal. An employee of a company whose company has paid for their Corgi certification is Corgi registered only while carrying out the business of their employer. Unless their employer gives permission to carry out such works and is prepared to accept all liability for such work undertaken. A householder, who has employed such a gas fitter, is entitled to access the after sales facilities that the gas fitters employers would offer its own customers. This would include the registering of the newly fitted boiler to Corgi, & issuing of all gas safety documentation. The gas fitters employer would be liable for all tax, vat & National Insurance payments for the project. If the fitter causes any damage or in the opinion of the householder carry’s out sub standard works, the employer would be liable as they have given permission or failed to point out the companies position on such matters. As for private companies charging to much, it costs on average £1500 per gas fitter per annum to be Corgi registered add the cost of Public Liability insurance, van insurance, van purchase, van fuel, van depreciation, tools, training (Unvented Systems, Energy Efficiency, new boiler technology ect.), staff wages, premises rent, phone bills, National Insurance, Vat, to mention but a few overheads. All of that is before they have earned a penny, perhaps their prices are not so high after all. Nor is it then remarkable that Jack the Lad comes along with no insurance , driving his employers van, waving the Corgi card his employer has paid for can under cut his employer when it comes to the price of installing a boiler.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1