hydroscopic salts


Postby chimney » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:12 pm

Hope someone can help me here is the problem.

I have recently took out a solid fuel fireplace and replaced it with a log burner after making the recess larger. We unibonded the walls before plastering then let it dry out before painting it. Now rusty patches have appeared and we have been told that it could be hydroscopic salts coming through. The paint is proving very difficult if not impossible to remove. Can you put salt neutraliser over paint?

Many thanks
chimney
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:49 pm

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:32 pm

chimney,
Chances are that it is soot leaching through the paint surface as the wall dries out. Can only suggest you apply a few coat of stain-block paint.
end
stoneyboy
Posts: 2708
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm


Postby chimney » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:08 pm

Many thanks Stoneyboy for your help.

I will do as you suggest and see if that works
chimney
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:49 pm


Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by