I can't switch the lights of!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AVAGO
Labourer
Labourer

I can't switch the lights of!!

by AVAGO » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm

Hi,

I have just replaced a pendant light fitting with a track light, I have also replaced the light switch.

When I switched the power back on the lights came on but I could not turn them off again at the switch. Also the metal "track" became very hot, is this normal?

I have tried re-wiring it in every possible combination, both at the light and the switch, it is also earthed correctly as far as I can tell.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

jackhawk
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jackhawk » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:05 pm

Hi AVAGO,
Have you wired all browns/reds together and all blues/blacks together. If so then that is wrong. As the fuse has not tripped while operating the switch I would assume that you have four browns/reds coming to fitting and two blues/blacks coming to the fitting. If this is so then you need to ID the switch wires. I.E, two browns/reds in a wire together or loose. Connect 3 of the reds together using a 10A+ block and the forth brown/red to the light LIVE, all the blue/blacks go into the light NEUTRAL. All earths must be individually sleeved green yellow and terminate in the light fitting. (Metal I presume). If they are halogen lights then the fitting will get hot and must not be fitted to unsuitable surface.
If wires at light are not as above post back with full description .
Cheers
Jackhawk

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:31 pm

Hi, you have obviously connected to N & perm Live loop term instead of sw. line, see Doc's project on connecting a light, regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:16 pm