I need 3m³ of natural gas in my back garden, what are my options?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

Calibre41
Labourer
Labourer

I need 3m³ of natural gas in my back garden, what are my options?

by Calibre41 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:41 pm

(2nd attempt, I didn't see this appear, I posted it an hour or more ago? - Sorry if it doubles up!)

I'm looking at converting a small portable furnace to natural gas. It requires 2.7m³ per hour by the book, which might be slightly conservative. It specifies its requirements (for natural gas) as 15mbar though a fixed pressure regulator and I can buy a conversion kit from the manufacturer who can install free of charge during its next service (which is overdue)

I don't know what the rules are, but obviously I can't run this thing in my kitchen, it needs to be outside, it's a portable unit, so it needs a method of safely disconnecting as I'll only be dragging it out of the garage on sunny days as part of my metal work hobby. My meter and undercounter gas boiler are all along the back wall of my house right where I want the furnace so I don't have far to go.

Currently running costs are around £5 per use with a 13kg propane bottle giving me 4-5 average runs. If converted to my domestic supply, prices drop to around £1.25 per use tops, and saves me the hassle of lugging a 13kg gas cylinder around, driving to and from the suppler, storing the bloody thing in my garage etc... The benefits are more than just pocket change per use, as I could be using it 2 or 3 times a day if I'm on a roll, emptying a bottle in a weekend!

So, can someone corgi registered legally fit something for me outside?
Can my domestic regulator handle 3m³ and will it provide the required 15mbar?

I really appreciate any advice - lots of technical questions here and I'm not in the know at all.

Many thanks,

It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:13 pm