I've Added a Microwave and Now my Cooker Trips?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bpascua
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've Added a Microwave and Now my Cooker Trips?

by bpascua » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:42 am

Hello All,

I live in an old Edwardian house, which has an extension built about 7 years ago. I have a range cooker which has its own electrical RCD fuse. There are several more fuses for the old downstairs sockets and the new extension sockets. I had to move a microwave into our kitchen this week. On top of my kitchen cabinets there are two single sockets. One is used for the fridge and the other has a 4-1 adaptor with an extractor fan in it.

On moving the microwave I had to use an extension lead (1.5mm cable 13 amp plugs) that then plugged into the 4-1. So far so good. After a day or so the cooker tripped out when I turned it off. It blew fuse 1 which is the cooker. The microwave stayed on and everything else. Bugger I thought. So I tried without the 4-1 pluging it directly into the socket. Now its worth mentioning that the two single sockets seem to have other grey wires feeding into them which I suspect isnt ideal. Anyway after turning the oven on and off rapidly a few times times the fuses blew again - fuse 1. I have also tried plugging it into the fridge socket which should be on a separate fuse - each time the issue is with the cooker.

If I plug the microwave into another socket in the house I get no such issues. The cooker is fine. Can someone help me explain this ? If the sockets were on the same circuit as the cooker then I would expect I was overloading the circuit - but why is the microwave/fridge staying on?

I dont understand electrics so I am sure this is a simple answer......Also is there anything I can do here to use these sockets rather than a have to route a cable somewhere else?

thanks

Brian

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: I've Added a Microwave and Now my Cooker Trips?

by ericmark » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:24 am

A RCD is not a fuse, we have two types of protective devices, over current, and current leakage, they can be combined as a RCBO.

Describe the device which disconnects, does it have a test button?

bpascua
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bpascua » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Hello,

I have 2 fuse boxes next to each other, each fuse has a test button. The oven is on one of the fuses and every time the oven goes off - fuse 2 has tripped. Each fuse has a blue test button. Apologies if I am using the wrong terms...

bpascua
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bpascua » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Hello - Apologies I checked my fuse box looking things and each fuse has RCBO and a yellow button.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:11 pm