Ideal Sprint Overheat Thermostat Tripping (with images)
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MXMaster
Labourer
Labourer

Ideal Sprint Overheat Thermostat Tripping (with images)

by MXMaster » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Hello everyone,

We have an Ideal Sprint RS.75 Combi boiler from about 1987 (Or so instructions say!) and just latley I noticed that the pilot was lit but there was no 'whoooosh' when I turned on the heating or hot tap - it just sat idling.

Pressure was fine and temp gauge was showing about 15Deg.

I called a local plumber who took the cover off and pushed a red pin switch on the top which sprang the boiler back into life again.

The problem is this lasted about 7 days and it keeps pinging again and sometimes now it even takes the pilot light out with it.

The CH / DHW can last all night or sometimes 20 mins before it pings and every day we need to keep reseting it!

There is a mention in the instructions of an Overheat Safety valve 1 which is also on top of boiler but DOESN'T have a pin switch but looks just the same and then there is this Overheat Safety valve 2 with the red pin which keeps tripping?

Does it sound like an overheating boiler? The temp gauge normally only hits about 80-90Deg.

There are no funny noises or anything its just a real pain! Waking up freezing or coming home freezing!

What part might it be thats faulty? Or could it be another thermostat? Is there anything I could try?

Images for your info:

The tripping overheat sensor
[img]www.fitaudio.com/test/1.jpg[/img]

The boiler minus the cover
[img]www.fitaudio.com/test/2.jpg[/img]

Heat/Pressure Gauge
[img]www.fitaudio.com/test/3.jpg[/img]

Thanks for your help if you can!

nathancresswell
Labourer
Labourer

red pin switch

by nathancresswell » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:36 pm

I realise this post was a while ago but is there any chance you could post me the photo of the switch
I have exactly the same problem and just want to get the boiler on short term before i get it fixed properly
Thankyou

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1