All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
supooky
Labourer
Labourer

immersion heater broken

Post by supooky » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:18 pm

Hi!can anyone advise me please?
I'm not getting any hot water,I've changed th thermostat and still nothing so I'm now thinking it's the element that needs replacing(a new thermostat was put in last year and worked but this replacement hasn't)
the problem is I can't change the element as I'm pretty sure it'll break the tank as it's been in for over forty years!I've had a quote from a plumber to replace the tank but I just want to check if it could be anything else before going ahead with the job,I'd hate to pay nearly £700 and then find out it wasn't the element that was the problem!
so can anyone tell me if it could be anything else?I know the electrics aren't very good in this house but the light comes on on the switch for the immersion so i'm assuming that there is still electricity getting to the thermostat
thanks in advance for any info!

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Post by DONFRAMAC » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:10 am

My back-up immersion element has an in-line fuse in the switched/fused wired outlet in the hot-tank cupboard. It is just possible that this fuse has failed (you do get tired-fuse failures).
Try just checking/renewing this 13 amp fuse, located under a cover on the face of the wired outlet. It is the same fuse as those used for portable appliance 3-pin mains plugs, although lower and higher rated fuses will fit also, commonly 3 amp, 5 amp, and 20 amp.
Just borrow the fuse from the kettle, and try that.

supooky
Labourer
Labourer

Post by supooky » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:59 am

thanks for your reply,I thought of that but when I went to change it I discovered that there is no fuse in the switch!The light is still coming on on the switch when I turn it on though so I'm assuming that it's not an electrical problem.I've bitten the bullet and booked the plumber in to change the tank next week!
here's hoping!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:23 pm