infill doorway
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
crooner
Apprentice
Apprentice

infill doorway

Post by crooner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi, i have a back door i no longer use because we replaced a window in the dining area with french doors,i want to infill the old back doorway,i need a building warrant for this i have checked, the property is a steele house which was bricked over with a low layer of common brick then breeze blocks & pebbledashed years ago, i need to find out do i infill with breeze block's tied in with ties on both sides of doorway, i will have to put a couple of course's of bricks to match the common brick's at bottom of property,should i put damp course on common brick's level with existing damp course & after that tie into every block , how far in should i set blocks to leave room for 2coats & pebbledash & is one course of blocks enough, i intend to plasterboard the area on other side of the infill,and fit a toilet /basin with the waste attaching to the existing soil pipe which is cast iron where i would be connecting new toilet to,it's only 2 metres away
so summing up,do i need damp course? breeze block's i layer okay? tied in at every block layer? how far in to allow for pebbledash?

and finally if i cut into cast soil pipe with angle grinder, what type of connection do i need to attach new soil pipe to cast pipe

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:27 pm

The bottom of the doorway should be above DPC level. There should be no need for additional DPC.

Your infill will not need to be supporting anything as there will be a lintel of some description above the doorway. It would be sensible to tie in to the existing structure so it doesn't fall out.

Lay your new bricks.blocks level with the existing - you'll see where that is when you take out the door case. Then you'll have the same depth for your render as the existing.

Re soil pipe - see here:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/ca ... lastic.htm

Cheers

crooner
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by crooner » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:36 am

HI ROSEBERY, thanks for the quick reply, because brick / breeze blocks / render were added to my steele house i can't tell where render starts in the doorway,
the original door is attached to a metal frame which is set back 11 inch's from pebbledash,

i forgot to mention door is 18 inch's above ground,so there are 2 steps to the door ,which means i would be laying brick/blocks on second step,
as i'm building on step that is below the DPC level should i put DPC in ?,
also wanted to ask as the block's are deep, do i only need a single wall built with the blocks & the common brick below doubled up ,they would only be 2 brick's high,

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:47 am