Inherited a house and I don't know where to start- help
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tiddler65
Labourer
Labourer

Inherited a house and I don't know where to start- help

by tiddler65 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:31 pm

Can anyone give me advice and guidence on what to do first with a semi detached 1940's 3 bedroom house. Has no bathroom, no hot water, no one has ever been in the loft due to small aperture, no central heating, small scullary kitchen. I have cleared the personal possesions but don't know where to start. I envisage keeping it and renovating it to a suitable standard.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

renovation

by welsh brickie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:41 am

get a surveyor in.He will list all the problems wrong with the property.
Check the council for any grants available this could save a fortune.

tiddler65
Labourer
Labourer

renovation - grants available

by tiddler65 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Thank you so much.

Can anyone help me with what grants are available for renovations? Does it depend on your council?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

grants

by welsh brickie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:25 am

yes depends on your council,The waterboard used to replace the old lead watermain for free so check that aswell.

sueprice
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Inherited a house and I don't know where to start- help

by sueprice » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:50 am

[quote="tiddler65"]Can anyone give me advice and guidence on what to do first with a semi detached 1940's 3 bedroom house. Has no bathroom, no hot water, no one has ever been in the loft due to small aperture, no central heating, small scullary kitchen. I have cleared the personal possesions but don't know where to start. I envisage keeping it and renovating it to a suitable standard.[/quote]

My 1st home was like this, and as a result of a survey, our first item was to repair the roof, as everything else you do would affected by water. My father drew up plans, and we managed to pinch room for a bathroom. We then had to put in the damp proofing, as this also affects the other works and was the most messy. We opened up the fireplaces temporarily, which had the added benefit of drying out plaster. All the electrics were redone before the plastering. The kitchen we did with cheap secondhand units, just to get the water running. Our priorities where, to be able to work in relative comfort, to be able to clean tools and ourselves and security. hope this helps

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:25 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:48 pm